Hello!

My gerbil Buffy gave birth to her first litter today.  She had 7 pups and
then she died.  We already went to the per store and got another pregnant
gerbil trying to give the little newborns a mother, but is this all we can
do?  We tried to feed them with some puppy milk, but they don't seem to be
eating.  The new gerbil has built a nest and is seating over the pups - is
this (7 of them) too much for her?  What will happen to her own babies?  Why
did Buffy die?  was it because she had so many pups or could I have done
something to prevent it?  I want to ensure that new gerbil (same litter as
Buffy was) doesn't end up the same way....

Thanks,

Lana