Carol Glass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>We are relatively new owners of a lovely pair of gerbils, a male and a female.
>They first gave birth to a litter of three about 4-1/2 weeks ago.  It has been
>amazing to watch their parenting skills and teamwork, and to watch the infants
>grow and thrive.
>
>Two days ago the second litter appeared, this time four of them.  It has gotten
>very busy and frenetic in their home, and we wanted to clear out the older
>siblings to create some calm and serenity so the parents could concentrate on
>the infants.  The older litter seemed to have stopped nursing more or less a
>week ago, and certainly seem to have become somewhat independent.
>
>My question is: is it OK to separate the "children" at 4-1/2 weeks?  The
>material we have seen says to wait until 6 weeks.  Does it make sense to do it
>now, or to leave them with their parents and younger siblings for another 10
>days or so (which seems like it could be very stressful for the mother).
>
>Also, what do you think the separation experience is like for the parents, as
>well as for the children?  I hate to break up the family, but realize it is
>necessary.
>
>Any feedback, particularly from those of you more experienced in such
>matters, is appreciated.
>
>Michael Swarttz

I suggest you send this to the Gerbil Mailing List at Topica.com

This list has now closed as all access will be withdrawn by the hosting
university very shortly.

You should post to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to subscribe to the new
list.

There are plenty of experts there to help you.

--
Julian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]