Stefan Tauner,
Thanks for the patch set. I, personally, would like to switch the default to NORMAL, but other developers have been resistant in the past. However, GTK3.0 is officially deprecating the GDK code, so we can probably assume it will be eliminated by the time GTK4 comes out. Is anyone vehemently opposed to switching the default to NORMAL? If so, please speak up now. Otherwise I'll apply Stefan's patch-set.

Cheers--
Julian