Sorry I haven't caught up with this thread earlier, it's been a busy time of year. :-)

It's very odd that your PS3 is resetting when trying to play a video file, I've not had problems like that. Just the "normal" no audio, too fast video problem. Hope there's not a problem with your PS3 itself.

I have downloaded b018xsm2 (I've Never Seen Star Wars) today and it was encoded with the version of ffmpeg I posted a link to earlier. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7678269/Ffmpeg_getiplayer.zip SVN-r22140-Sherypya built 02 March 2010.

The resulting file plays absolutely fine on my PS3 (Slimline model with latest firmware from Sony).

The command line that get_iplayer used to convert the flv to .mp4 was:
E:\gip\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i E:\gip\Downloads/Ive_Never_Seen_Star_Wars_-_27_12_2011_b018xsm2_default.partial.mp4.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y E:\gip\Downloads/Ive_Never_Seen_Star_Wars_-_27_12_2011_b018xsm2_default.partial.mp4

Maybe you could try downloading this file with get_iplayer and seeing if it plays on your PS3? Perhaps copy the file to a USB stick if you have one and plug it in the PS3 and try to play it from there which will eliminate the media streaming from the equation.

I actually gave up using my PS3 as my media player (it was too noisy, a bit unreliable and I wanted to play HD mkv files without converting them) and I instead bought a eMachine ER1401 which I picked up for £110 from eBuyer.com. CPC had these on offer for a similar price recently but they're now out of stock again.