Austin, Herbert,

All good with me.  Thanks for working on this.

Some thoughts:

* Which repos are covered here?  Just the ones that used to be on abbott?  That
is, the ones maintained by GHC HQ?  Better make that clear.

* Does commit permission cover all repos?  If they are just the old GHC HQ
ones, fine.  If more, it may need to be more granular?

* Can anyone have a repo on git.haskell.org?  I assume not.

* I have lots of check-out repos.  Each contains lots of .git/config files
   because of the multi-repo nature of the GHC build system.  It would be
   a pain to have to edit each individually.  Maybe you can tell us a sync-all
   command to update the URL and pushurl configs, once per tree.

* This might be a good moment to clean out our committer list.   I suggest the
following
   - Start a wiki page on the GHC Trac for committers.  Maybe a section of
        http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Contributors
     or maybe a separate page

   - Send email to all existing committers inviting them to
        * create an entry on the GHC Committers page, saying who they are, where
            they work, and what they work on in GHC
        * reply to you asking for continued commit permission
     Lacking such a reply, you can omit them.  In this way we'll get an up to
date
     list.

  - Perhaps we should have a convention that no commits in a year means  you
lose
     commit permission.  You can be reinstated by asking, but it means we don't
have
     a list filled with ex-committers.

Simon