On Thursday 17 March 2005 04:19 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 16 mars 2005 à 20:43 -0800, Hal V Engel a écrit :
> > Tried to install the plugin but I am having some problems.  It appears
> > that the normal ./configure && make  && make install does not work
>
> Yes, the program don't use the classic autotools. But it is planed.
>
> > So I did a make and this appeared to work so I did a
> > make install which also appeared to work.  But when I try to use the
> > plugin in GIMP 2.2.3 it is grayed out.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to say that GREYCstoration only work on picture in RGB
> mode (convert your picture in menu Image > Mode > RGB). It also support
> RGBA (with alpha channel), but the channel isn't modified.

OK this helps.  I was trying to use it on a gray scale image.

> > I am running Gentoo Linux 2004.3 on an amd64 machine configured as a
> > x86_64 machine (IE. 64 bit code).  Not sure if that matters so I thought
> > I should give you this info in case it does.
>
> I don't know. You will tell me ;-)

It appears to not work.  I got the following error message about 2/3 of the
way through the process:

"GIMP Message

Plug-in "greycstoration"
(/home/heng/.gimp-2.2/plug-ins/greycstoration)

requested invalid drawable (killing)"

The image was not a small one (2650x2309) and this message was after about 6
minutes of processing.  I used the default settings that the tool opens up
with.  So I am not sure if this is a general bug or an amd64 specific
problem.  Also I don't think the preview was working as I could not see any
difference no matter how I set the controls.

Most of the images I would use something like on are older photos that I have
scanned from large format negatives as gray scale images.  These tend to be
large images (15 to 20 megapixel).  I have been using Neat Image on Windows
for this and it can take 10 to 15 minutes to process a single image.  So I
don't mind this taking a while to process the image if it finishes and does a
good job.

You might want to have a look at Neat Image to get some ideas about how to
implement your user interface.   They have a somewhat cripple demo version
that you can download for free.   It has a step that, with the help of the
user, analyzes the image and gives a starting point for fine adjustments.  It
is by far the most powerful tool I have used for this to date.  If you can
come close to this level of power with a GIMP plug-in that would be one less
thing I need Windows for and I would be one step closer to not needing
Windows at all.

Hal

> ---
>
> Laxminarayan Kamath & Hal V Engel : Why don't you answer in Gimp mailing
> list ?

Since I was asking for advice that might have been specific to my situation I
contacted you off list.  But perhaps I should have stayed on list.