[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Marc;
>
> On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 09:48:21AM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> > I am not at all sure what people are talking about... the hints for
> > the splash screen advise most window managers to not use a decor
> > already (works in fvwm, 4dwm and vuewm).
>
> I believe that mitch made the splash screen "unmanaged" or something
> like that - so it wasn't even under the control of the wm. Thus, not
> only would it have no decor (or border!) but it would be on _every_
> page of your virtual screen and could not be moved/hidden.

That's IMHO exactly what happened. I created the splash with

gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_POPUP) instead of GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG.

And AFAIK popup windows are ignored by all WMs (just like the windows
that pop up when you press <control>+mouse in a xterm) and are under
total controll of the creating program.

Therefore popup windows are only useful together with grabbing the pointer
(which is the case for e.g. the xterm dialogs and the various gimp
context preview popups) and not at all as dialog-like windows.

So I believe this is not a WM issue at all but rather the
desired behaviour of popup windows.

BTW, now that I changed it back (and set the "allow_shrink" hint to FALSE)
how does it look? At least enlightenment now omits the border and shows
only a title. (I didn't configure anything on the WM side)

bye,
--Mitch