On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:15:54PM +0100, Raphael Quinet wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, "Garry R. Osgood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The latest is very good too, but the bristles are pointing the wrong way
> > (they would point *into* the ink blot as the brush pushes to the left).
> > I guess this bothers my boring and literal mind.
>
> Good catch!  Actually, it is even more than that: the whole brush
> should be pointing in the opposite direction (unless the artist is
> starting to paint a second line on top of the first one).  When you
> are painting, the brush is usually pointing in the opposite direction
> of the existing stroke, which is not very convenient for the image
> layout.

Yeah. The logic was: The brush painted the line, and then moved to the place
it is in the picture. It's more a matter of composition. If the bristles
pointed to right, it would just look weird. All in all that pic was done
very fast, just because Marc Lehmann was asking someone to replace his "new
year" splash. The image is layered though so I was thinking of making this
into the "About" image - now: what should be in the about image?

        "GIMP - Virtual Crayons"

or something? I strongly vote for something humoristic, if we take this
thing too seriously it'll be bad. One of the best things in Gimp is you
have weird plugins. Like IFS-compose. Or GimpMill - havent tried it yet
since I had some trouble getting it to work with CVS gimp:

--- 8< ------------------------------------
($:~/.gimp-1.1/plug-ins)-> ./gimpmill.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./gimpmill.py", line 4, in ?
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gimpfu.py", line 48, in ?
    import gimp
ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gimpmodule.so: undefined
symbol: gimp_image_find_parasite
------------------------------------ >8 ---

Any clue? Is gimp-python not working with cvs gimp?
(GimpMill is a plugin that saves your image as a Sawmill theme once you
follow certain rules on creating the image - pretty cool :)

> I would certainly vote for the lastest splash screen if it could be
> fixed.  Some suggestions for Tigert (because I am not much of an
> artist so I cannot do that myself):
> - Move the existing ink line a bit higher (or lower) and start a
>   second one where the tip of the brush is.
> - Or do things differently: instead of a simple line, draw a large
>   circle in dark red ink around the GIMP letters.  The advantage of a
>   circle is that the brush comes back where it started, but with the
>   correct orientation.
> - Add some perspective on the background.

:) Thanks for the tips. I'll see what happens for the About pic.

> - The tip of the brush should be soaked with ink.

I tried that a bit but it looked weird.

Tig

--

.---( t i g e r t @ g i m p . o r g )---.