As I was reading 'Grokking the GIMP' I came up with some ideas.
Unfortunantly, I don't have the skills/knowledge to implement these
myself, So I hope I can describe them well enough that you can
figure out what I'm thinking.  If I still don't make sense, I can make
some illustrations to help explain them.

        Select Within
Adds to the selection everything that is fully contained within the
selection
(An option for this) Leave large areas unselected (checkbox with
slider for minimum large size)

        Select Gradient
This is hard to explain.  It acts like the magic wand, but it keeps
going as long as there is a smooth change.  It doesn't care about
the originating pixel, just as long as there is little change from pixel
to pixel, it will keep going.

        WrapAround
This would be VERY useful when creating backgrounds.  When
you (paint|select|etc.) near an edge, effects are automaticly applied
on the other side of the image.

        Background Remover
Used for defringing.  Makes an edge partialy transparent and
removes the background color from the semi-transparent area.
(Imagine a black area bluring onto a white background)
In this example the gray area would be made black, and the
transparancy would be adjusted to give the same appearance of
gray
If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,