Are we trying to reinvent a package manager here?  A lot of the issues I
could see coming up have already been addressed by apt/yum/etc - would
adapting one of these be a better approach than reinventing the wheel?
 This would facilitate curating a list of trusted/mature plug-ins,
experimental ones, and an everything list (and ones not hosted on the
registry), manage dependencies/conflicts, get descriptions, get updates,
compile from source, etc.

I've written (and hacked on) a few plugins, but I'm not volunteering for
this - just wondering if the problem (and problems it creates) has been
largely solved already.

Seth