Totally agree with you. Color management would definitely be a priority for
high-end photo editing software. Also, I would think that nondestructive
editing would be high on the list (Photoshop's "Smart Objects").

If I am not mistaken, Alex has already mentioned adjustment layers numerous
times in past as a requirement/missing feature in GIMP.