On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Carmelo DrRaw <aferrero1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am facing a problem when trying to build a GIMP AppImage that bundles
> python to allow running the python-based plug-ins.
>
> As far as I understand, GIMP takes the python executable specified in
>
>     PREFIX/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/pygimp.interp
>
> where the executable path has to be specified with an absolute way
> (otherwise GIMP throws an error “Bad binary format string in interpreter
> file …”).
>
> However, in the AppImage case the absolute path into which the package is
> extracted is random, and is only known after the AppImage has ben actually
> started. Moreover, configuration files inside the AppImage bundle cannot be
> modified because they are read-only.
>
> Hence my question: is there a way to dynamically specify the path to the
> python interpreter? In such situations one would typically use environment
> variables, but there seems to be no way in this case…
>

> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> A,

Not wanting to starting some Linux "wars" :), I think of AppImage as
Linux's acknowledgement to Mac OSX Apps.

So in that vein, include a launcher in your AppImage which mounts your
support libs is a specific location (possibly /tmp) and then point the
python interpreter to something like /tmp/python/python or something
similar.

Maybe that will work?