Sven Neumann writes:
> It doesn't hurt to put babl and GEGL into /usr/local. Just run configure
> without any extra arguments and things will just work.

There's one more step you'll need in addition to getting gegl and
babl that I didn't see mentioned (maybe I just missed it): gimp
needs quite a long list of build dependencies that aren't installed
by default, especially on Ubuntu which doesn't even install a
compiler. If you follow Martin's suggestion (which I agree with)
of using Ubuntu 8.10 ("Intrepid Ibex"), you can get the requirements
using one (perhaps very long) line typed in a terminal window.

This command might work, but I haven't tried it myself:
sudo apt-get build-dep gimp

If you try that but still get build errors from missing packages,
try the long version listing all the important packages:

sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion make gcc libglib2.0-dev
libgtk2.0-dev intltool automake1.9 libtool gtk-doc-tools g++-3.3 libart-2.0-dev
libtiff4-dev libexif-dev libxmu-dev libjpeg62-dev libmng-dev libpng12-dev
librsvg2-dev libgutenprintui2-dev libaa1-dev python2.5-dev python-gtk2-dev
libaa1-dev libxpm-dev libwmf-bin libwmf-dev libgtkhtml2-dev

By the way, on an older PIII notebook, you may have trouble
with the standard Ubuntu "Live CD" installs. If the Live CD doesn't
boot or locks up partway through the installation, don't give up,
but try downloading one of the "Alternate Installer" CD images.

Unfortunately you may also have performance issues with GIMP 2.7
on a machine like that. With anything earlier, a PIII notebook
should be okay as long as you're patient -- the build will take
quite a while, maybe as long as a few hours -- and you don't need to
work with huge images.

        ...Akkana