IIRC there was some discussion of this idea -> script-fu ending up as
an independent plugin rather than one maintained within the GIMP code
base. Basically, script-fu ending up in the position that PyGimp has
been in -- an optional extra rather than part of the core
installation. That's the idea.

There has only been discussion. No concrete plans have been made.