On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 (late at night), Marc Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:48:50AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Since the menus were reorganized I am constantly guessing wether
> > > "Repeat Last" will repeat my last action, the one before or not work
> > > at all, since you can't tell from the menu anymore.
> >
> >  Huh? Sounds strange, could you provide a snapshot in a private EMail?
> >  I can't image what this should look like....
>
> "Repeat Last" will repeat the last plug-in. Since menus do not provide a
> feedback of wether an entry is a plug-in or "built-in" (I think it would
> even be wrong to do so), you have to know this, which is not easy for
> beginners.

I agree with you, Mark.  Knowing the difference between tools and
plug-ins is rather important, but is not easy for the beginner who has
several dialogs open and is not familiar with all of them.  If the
user does not know what belongs to a tool and what belongs to a
plug-in, then some actions such as "Undo", "Repeat Last" or "Re-Show
Last" become unpredictable.  There is also an issue with scripts
(e.g. Script-Fu) but hopefully this will be resolved soon.  Hmmm...
this reminds me that I still have to contribute some code there...

> > > I am quite sure it improves usabiloty for me a lot.
> >
> >  Well, I could provide you a patch which reverts it when you compile
> >  it with CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -DIMPROVE_USABILITY_FOR_MARC" :)
>
> Please note that I am not alone with that opinion...

Yup!  I definitely prefer redundancy if it improves the usability.  In
this case, making sure that all tools contain "Tool" in their title
(e.g. "Pencil Tool") would avoid some confusion.  Even if this sounds
a bit ridiculous.

-Raphael