I am not sure if the Pen / Path tool, you are talking about is the tool
wirh bezier curves, but if so, here is the uscase for creating selection
(and its quiet obvious one) :

Imagine you have only mouse and need to create precise selection and
straight lines - using laso tool is not enough (ie to create mask) - one
way is to create path around object and convert it to selection, it's also
perfect way to store it for later use.