Quoting "John R. Culleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

 have a jpg image that is in rectangular form. I would like to
round the corners off symmetrically to soften the shape a bit.
Which is the quickest way to to this?

The quickest way is to:

* Select all
* Perform a "Rounded rectangle" (I think you will find this on the "Select" menu, but on previous GIMP versions it may be under "Script-fu->Selection")
* Invert the selection
* Fill with a background color (JPEGs do not support transparent areas, therefore you have to choose a specific color for the corners)

If you would prefer to have the corners match the background of whereever the image is to appear (on a webpage, for example), you will have to use the PNG format (GIFs will work, too; but will have "ugly" edges). Change the last step above to:

* Perform a "Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel" and then an "Edit->Clear"

If you *have* to use JPEG format, I would recommend that you place a border around your image:

* Select all
* Perform a "Rounded rectangle" (I think you will find this on the "Select" menu, but on previous GIMP versions it may be under "Script-fu->Selection") * Create a new transparent layer. Increase this layer's boundary size by the amount of border you think will look good. Use the "Center" option when resizing the layer
* Perform an "Image->Fit canvas to layers"
* Invert the selection
* Fill with a border color