I've had a go at this.

The files are all available in the following location:
   http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/Badges/

There are two script files that need to be installed in your GIMP
scripts folder. The main one is 'sg-create-badges.scm' which adds a
"Create badges..." command under the File menu. The other script is
'sg-mosaicize.scm" which is required by the other to produce the final
layout (it adds a "Mosaicize" command under the Filters->Map menu).

There are also an 'example.data' file and three sample badge style
files: 'rainbow.xcf, 'seuss.xcf', and 'simple.xcf'. The topmost layer
(typically transparent) of the style file's image is used to determine
the location and size of the text of the person's name. The name text
is centered within the bounds of this topmost layer (and then merged
down to a single layer).

The format for the data file is quite simple and described in the
comments of the 'sg-create-badges.scm' file. You should use fully
qualified paths to the style files.

In the dialog for the script, you would select your data file, a font,
the text color for the person's name, and a percent value for the font
size (100% means use the largest font that will fit in the allotted
area).

The result of the script is an image with a separate layer for each
badge, as well as a background layer. The layout of these layers is a
MxN grid. This layout is determined by the the Mosaicize script and
chooses "M" and "N" such that the result is as close to square as
possible (e.g., 11 badges would result in a 3x4 grid).

No file is written to disk.

Though not required, I would appreciate being notified if you improve
the script (or even whether you find it useful).