<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> >We want to use gimp to transform cartographic vector data into GIF
> >images for use in the internet.  However, the rights on the GIF
> >format are owned by Compuserve.
>
> >AFAIK, any software *producing* GIF images (such as Photoshop and all

> >that stuff) has to pay license fees to Compuserve. The software user,

> >then , has got the right to produce ANY amount of images.
>
> I would strongly urge you to use some other format if you're concerned

> about the legal BS that surrounds the LZW patent.  PNG should will
work
> nicely for your purposes.
>
> Kelly

We jhave already considered about PNG, but:

We want to use Java Applets (Java 1.1.X, for use in standard browsers,
no Java 2)
accessing
GIF images and displaying them in a canvas - which is a standard Java
1.1
functionality.

Unfortunately, we have not managed so far to do the same for PNG. Our
Java
knowledge is not so
deep, but there seems to be no *simple* way in standard Java 1.1.
Developing tools
and classes
will exceed our abilites.

Or does anybody know about Java classes helping us with this problem?
(if
possible, not too complicated as our Java knowledge is not too deep...)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hubert

Dr.-Ing. Hubert Fröhlich                          Tel. :+49 (0)89 / 2190
- 2580
Bezirksfinanzdirektion München                    Fax  :+49 (0)89 / 2190
- 2459
Alexandrastr. 3
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
D-80538 München