>I continued to poke around and click on various files and got GIMP to
>open. Certainly not what i expected to do based on the screen message
>that had the Finish button. Is it just me being stupid or does
>everyone else just know this is what needs to be done?
>
>This request for Help can be closed and I thank you so much!

Closed but not forgotten

For Windows users there is a temptation to ***click-n-wish***, set the installer
running  and not look at any options.

For a desktop shortcut, which might be expected by some, the ***customize***
option is used. This gives the opportunity to set file type associations and
menu options.

A short 3 minute video, a demo in Win 10 but equally applicable to other Windows
versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klV_1PslFG4

Part of some other hints for Gimp beginners.

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-Installation?pid=202#pid202

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)