>Yes. I know. I'm using GAP plugins to and I get the video option and
>I'm trying to extract video range which turns it into layers. But when
>I open my video files they all say unknown file type. Even tho I'm
>pretty dire all I'm using are very common

AVI and mp4 video files are just wrappers for a particular video codec. AVI can
be anything from uncompressed video thro' lossless huffy compression to
motion-jpeg to modern x261/x265 codecs. A search will bring up any number of
examples of GAP failing to open a video.

What can you do for a video that GAP will not unpack?

One way is install ImageMagick (IM), https://www.imagemagick.org which comes
with a reasonably recent version of ffmpeg. It is command line and after
installing IM navigate to the folder with your video and use a command.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -f image2 imagename-%07d.png

In windows it might look like this in a folder with a single video file.
http://i.imgur.com/1HtXyAi.jpg

Running ffmpeg brings up a lot, but it is mostly information.
http://i.imgur.com/r610mof.jpg

On completion, back to the folder with the video file, now each frame is a
numbered png file ready to open-as-layers in Gimp http://i.imgur.com/24cyJ0M.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)