>I have attached an image of a dog I would like to use for a project.
>The picture is square and I wanted it to be round. I used the tools in
>Gimp 2 to get the round shape I need but there is still the white
>square visible.
>
>When I paste this image into my project, it shows the white square
>background. I need to get rid of the white square background and keep
>the circle and everything in it.
>
>How do I make that happen?
>Thank you in advance for your help
>Bill

An image will always be rectangular but certain formats will permit
transparency. Jpeg is **not** one of those.

Very little change to your procedures.

Open Image, Add an Alpha Channel for transparency, Layers menu -> Transparency
-> Add Alpha Channel.

Make your Elliptical selection, Invert it, Cut it. The transparent bits are
depicted as a checker pattern. Kill the selection. Selection -> None

Now the important bit. Export your image as a png. File -> Export As Give the
file a name **including** the .png suffix. Just keep the default settings.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/623/original/aspng.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)