Am 06.07.19 um 16:24 schrieb btt:

> Hi,
> So I am working on a many years long map making project. I am using a scale of
> 1" to 10 miles and hand drawing it on 9x12" panels of paper. The current size
> of
> the map is about 20 by 20 feet. This is obviously too large to see in one
> place,
> so I have been using GIMP to panel them together in a digital file. Obviously,
> this file is getting quite large. I was hoping people might have suggestions
> on
> how to reduce the size of the file without reducing the image quality too
> much.
> It's only going to get bigger haha. I've got no experience with vector based
> programs, is that the direction I need to head?

If you are not booked on having one file, then maybe keep the multiple
files - in fact, create even more of them, at smaller scales with less
detail - and then use something like https://leafletjs.com/ (FLOSS to
make the map interactive and zoomable?

TL;DR: Leaflet is a javascript library to create maps like on the
OpenStreetmap site. They use it, actually:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Leaflet

--
Regards,
Michael