Hi,

>> > So I tried that, but still NOTHING. Question, It IS with the bucket fill
>> > tool
>> > that I should be able to access the .pat files right?

> The problem in this case may be that a lot of those patterns on
> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/12/the-ultimate-collection-of-free-photoshop-patterns/
> aren't GIMP compatible. For instance, I tried the "animal prints" one,
> http://redheadstock.deviantart.com/art/Animal-Prints-PS-Patterns-37342057
> and although it supposedly includes 18 patterns, I got a zip file
> that expanded to just one file, SS-animalprints-patterns.pat.
> If I put that file in ~/.gimp-2.6/patterns/ it's ignored, and if I
> try to open the file in GIMP I get "GIMP pattern plug-in could
> not open image".  I get the same for the brick textures pattern.

Disclaimer, I have not tried any of this (in great detail) :-) This is
all new to me too.

The short answer: Check out:  http://registry.gimp.org/node/10879

It looks like, as you noticed, that a Photoshop .pat may contain
multiple layers. Those layers can be saved as individual Gimp patterns.
The install of this plug-in will add a "file type" of
"Photoshop Pattern" in the Open Dialog.

Longer answer: Text below is Italian. I used Google to translate to
English.

Use the pattern of Photoshop with Gimp
May 3rd, 2009

Although the patterns (reasons) of Photoshop have the same extension
of the Gimp (. Pat) can not always use them.

I believe this is due to the fact that the format of the patterns of
PS is more complex than could have within it images of different
sizes. In order to use the same patterns for Photoshop on the net can
now install the plugin Photoshop Pattern Loader. This plugin once
installed enables you to upload patterns in GIMP as if it were an
image.

Using the pattern
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.volalibero.it/gimp/gimp_-_plug-_e_script-fu/usare_i_pattern_di_photoshop_con_gimp&ei=aQ4mSrGdKqiGtgOd-aGgBg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=8&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dps-pat-load_1%26hl%3Den

Photoshop pattern loader: Load Photoshop PAT patterns set as image in GIMP.
  http://www.techzilo.com/download-free-gimp-plugins/