On 7/5/2011 3:27 PM, Stefan Maerz wrote:

Let's say I open a new blank canvas.
I then decide to make the canvas larger (Image > Canvas Size).
The canvas is made larger.
However, I am unable to draw over the new area unless I create a new layer and then merge the two.

This seems a bit counter productive. Is there a way / a plugin to make it so that, when I adjust the canvas size, the layer adjusts with it?

I don't think so. However there is a more intuitive workaround.

After adjusting the canvas:
  From the top menu: Layer>Layer to Image Size

This method uses 2 clicks instead of 4 or 5 :)

-Stefan Maerz
My apologies, I was wrong. The Layer>Layer to Image size workaround works, but not as well as this:

In the resize canvas dialog box you will notice a "Layers" Section. Under this section there is a "Resize Layers" option. This is what you want.

-Stefan Maerz