I am trying to get gimp 1.0.4 working from the /home/www partition on my
'puter.  I'm a long way away from Net-Fu but this is the approach I am
taking.

I have tried to cover all of the grittier details with the configure:

[root@Treva gimp-1.0.4]# LDFLAGS="-R/home/www"
[root@Treva gimp-1.0.4]# ./configure --enable-gimp-dir="~/.gimp-1.0"
--prefix=/home/www --mandir=/usr/man --with-gtk-prefix=/home/www

The README said that this version of Gimp would not work with gtk1.1.x.
I assumed that this would be even more true for gtk1.2.x.  So I
installed gtk 1.0.6 right next to it in /home/www.

My configure error is this:

checking for gtk-config... /home/www/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0...
*** An old version of GTK+ (1.0.6) was found.
*** You need a version of GTK+ newer than 1.2.0. The latest version of
*** GTK+ is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org

Is it autoconf?  Can the old gimp use a new gtk?  Where do I go from
here?

Maybe it would be quicker and easier for one of you smarties to port
Net-Fu to Gimp 1.2.x!