On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 10:12:54AM -0800, Robin Millette wrote:
> There was an article on slashdot [1] [2] today stating half of
> github.com projects are proprietary. Do we have any stats on
> gitorious projects licence use? I would be very interested in
> finding out more stats on hosted projects.

Robin,
Thanks for asking, this is an interesting question indeed.
I just ran a query on the server, resulting in this list:

+-----------------------------------------------+-------+
| license                                       | count |
+-----------------------------------------------+-------+
| MIT License                                   |  7694 |
| GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3)  |  6652 |
| GNU General Public License version 2(GPLv2)   |  3801 |
| None                                          |  2748 |
| GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)      |  1529 |
| BSD License                                   |  1477 |
| Other/Proprietary License                     |  1364 |
| GNU Affero General Public License (AGPLv3)    |   898 |
| Other/Multiple                                |   871 |
| Academic Free License v3.0                    |   762 |
| Public Domain                                 |   537 |
| Apache License                                |   483 |
| Other Open Source Initiative Approved License |   397 |
| Perl Artistic License                         |   138 |
| Qt Public License (QPL)                       |   118 |
| Ruby License                                  |    92 |
| ISC License                                   |    72 |
| Python License                                |    57 |
| zlib/libpng License                           |    41 |
| Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL 1.1)          |    39 |
| Boost Software License                        |    35 |
| Apache Software License                       |    27 |
| Microsoft Permissive License (Ms-PL)          |    24 |
| Apple Public Source License                   |    15 |
| Lisp Lesser License                           |     7 |
| Mozilla Public License 1.0 (MPL)              |     6 |
| GNU Library Public License (LGPL)             |     5 |
| My Own License                                |     1 |

Let me know if there's any other kind of stats that would be of
interest!

Cheers,
- Marius