frankie.gua...@gmail.com writes:

> Hi I'm tryingto install gitorious on Debian Squeeze. I followed this guide:
> http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/DebianSqueezeInstallation
> I came across some problems in the last part but I solved with some answers
> from this group.

Frankie,
I'm afraid the page you found on the wiki isn't maintained and contains
instructions that no longer apply. I made some changes to the wiki to
reflect this, along with pointers to updated installation instructions.

> Now I was trying to run the services. git-daemon runs fine, but I can't run
> ultrasphinx:
>
> You have already activated rake 10.0.3, but your Gemfile requires rake
> 0.8.7. Using bundle exec may solve this.
> /var/www/gitorious/config/../config/preinitializer.rb:16
> /var/www/gitorious/config/boot.rb:30:in `load'
> /var/www/gitorious/config/boot.rb:30:in `preinitialize'
> /var/www/gitorious/config/boot.rb:12:in `boot!'
> /var/www/gitorious/config/boot.rb:125
> /var/www/gitorious/Rakefile:4
>
> $ exec rake --trace think_sphinx:daemon:start RAILS_ENV=production
> (in /var/www/gitorious)
> rake aborted!
> Don't know how to build task 'think_sphinx:daemon:start'

First of all we no longer use Ultrasphinx for searching, it has been
replaced by another Rails plugin. Furthermore, Gitorious ships with
customized binaries in bin/ which will set up your environment correctly
and allow you to exec the scripts from any directory on the server.

To start the search engine, enter:

  /path/to/gitorious/bin/rake ts:run

to start the searchd daemon. Before that, you should run:

  /path/to/gitorious/bin/rake ts:config

to generate a valid configuration file.

Using the scripts in bin/ saves you from:
- specifying RAILS_ENV
- changing to the Gitorious directory
- prefix your commands with `bundle exec`
- changing to the correct uid/gid to avoid permission issues

Cheers,
- Marius