Johannes Ernst writes:

> I happen to be reading "man git-daemon", where it says this:
>
>        --interpolated-path=<pathtemplate>
>            To support virtual hosting, an interpolated path template can be
> used to dynamically construct alternate paths. The template
>            supports %H for the target hostname as supplied by the client but
> converted to all lowercase, %CH for the canonical
>            hostname, %IP for the server’s IP address, %P for the port number,
> and %D for the absolute path of the named repository.
>            After interpolation, the path is validated against the directory
> whitelist.
>
> I have not tried this, but this sounds like virtual hosts should
> actually be possible? "supplied by the client" sounds like the Host:
> header in HTTP?

Interesting. The git proxy we use (in config/git-proxymachine.rb) for
translating git:// requests to the hashed paths used on some
installations has some examples on how the git protocol works:

proxy do |data|
  if data =~ /^....(git\-upload\-pack|git\ upload\-pack)\s(.+)\x00host=(.+)\x00/
    service, path, host = $1, $2, $3
# ...

so it looks like it would work a lot like the HTTP Host: header.

Cheers,
- Marius