Hi Jeroen,
I would start with creating another repo with a clone, firstly I would
remove all the branches except master to find whether the issue is related
to branching or specific commit in history.

If the tree view works, then I would try to find the broken branch by
adding them back until tree view is broken again.

In the tree view would still be broken, I would try with git bisect to find
the broken commit.

Finally, I would try to create a repo that would include a commit/branch
broken in a similar way to the one found. That is a lot of effort to just
reproduce the issue, depending how much you need the tree view you might
want to do it.

Cheers,
Pawel