Jim Forster is right that $1 billion is a big bet. That is especially
true given the soft spot in this concept, which is the lack of a
business model for deploying the laptops. Giving them to children in
schools is going to be a non-starter, for a number of reasons: theft,
appropriation to income generation by adults, lack of affordable (or
often any) connectivity in schools or at home, especially in rural
areas; lack of suitable applications in local languages; lack of teacher
training; and lack of tech support. We don't yet have a laptop for every
child in US and other rich country schools, despite lots of years of
serious effort by serious people. The machines will have a market, but
at a higher delivered price, for small business, cyber-cafe kiosks,
etc., but probably not the schools in a major way for some time.

Those interested in our work on documenting business approaches to
poverty and connectivity in low income communities can access case
studies and other materials, and share their comments and perspectives,
at <www.nextbillion.net>

Allen L. Hammond
Vice President for Innovation & Special Projects
World Resources Institute
10 G Street NE
Washington, DC 20002  USA
V (202) 729-7777