Dear GKD Members,

Three invitations for GKD List participants at WSIS or ICT4All.

1. OKN - Open Knowledge Network

The first announcements of this programme, which originated from the G8
DotForce, caused a bit of quite intense discussion on this list when it
was announced in 2002. It was formally launched at WSIS 1 by Professor
Swaminathan and is now active with partners in Kenya, India, Mali,
Mozambique, Nepal, Senegal, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The
current programme is planned to run for a couple more years, and we are
having a workshop to share learning to date.

Learning from the Open Knowledge Network Experience: Grassroots Local
Content Creation in Africa and South Asia
Friday 18 November, 12:00 - 13:30 , ICT4All Exhibition,  Room 6

This session will be a report back and experience sharing session for
the Open Knowledge Network (OKN), presenting our activities and
learning, and inviting input from others involved in similar work. The
session will include presentations from the OKN partner projects, and
will offer a space for sharing ideas on local content production and
dissemination, appropriate technology and media for information sharing
in development, gender issues, intellectual property rights, project
sustainability and language issues.

2. FOSS 1: In collaboration with UNESCO and the National Informatics
Centre (India), we have developed a new Open Source software platform,
which will be briefly demonstrated at the session, with pre-release
versions available for collaborating partners. It will be formally
launched at the UNESCO stand immediately afterwards, 13:30 - 14:30

3. FOSS 2: I posted earlier a suggestion that we try and arrange a
meeting to carry on face to face some of the really important discussion
on FOSS that has been happening on this List. Although there was no
reply, I suggest we try nonetheless to at least meet informally. There
will be a lot of possible opportunities at various presentations -
including possibly with Sun, whom we could ask about the Google
alliance.

As a random suggestion, 14:30 at the OKN stand (1312) to at least put
faces to names...Tuesday 15th and/or Thursday 17th.

Best wishes,

Pete

Pete Cranston
Senior Advisor