Dear Colleagues,

I hope this helps clarify things.

>From the New York Times on Jhai:  "How do you bring the Web to people
who don't have phone lines - or even electricity?  With a level of
ingenuity that would have impressed Robinson Crusoe, it turns out."

>From the Economist on Jhai:  "He (Bill Gates) even wondered if it might
be possible to make computers for the poor in countries without an
electric power grid. The answer is yes, and things are going even
further."

>From the Wall St. Journal (1 Aug 05) in an article featuring Jhai: Dr.
Lynne H. Irwin talks about technology solving problems of poverty:  "The
basic cure involves management, not technology."

1.  Jhai PC and Communication System - Now

The Jhai PC is a low-power, rugged computer that works, is completing
its second field test, and has never crashed during three and half years
of development and testing. It is part of a system that includes proven
community buy-in methods, proven models for business and financial
sustainability, and a thorough understanding of both technology and how
to build success on assets already in place in rural communities. It was
built from the ground up by people very familiar with extreme
environmental conditions in rural areas where people make less than
$1/day. It responds to exact, expressed needs of people living in remote
villages for a tool that will help them make more money (1) through
knowledge that adds economic value  (2) through communicating with
market towns and relatives nearby and overseas, (3) through education,
and (4) through better communication and information-sharing among
nearby villages and worldwide.

2.  Partnerships that make a difference - Fast

The Center for Development of Advanced Computing (government of India)
in cooperation with Jhai, is planning to develop and engineer a PC for
India that can be produced in large volume, along the broad lines of the
Jhai PC, with a target selling price of $200, including Operating System
and basic application software suite in English and Indian languages.
The turn-around is quite short.  Mission 2007, of which Jhai is a
member, has garnered the support of the Indian government, the private
sector, professional organizations and civil society organizations to
undertake an information and communication technology (ICT) roll out
that will positively effect the economic well-being of people in 600,000
villages. MS Swaminathan Research Foundation and Datamation Foundation
Trust with Jhai's help, will test the advanced socio-economic
development systems of these two world famous ICT and development
organizations and the new Indian PC in early 2006 to demonstrate
appropriate training, connectivity choice, content decision-making,
capacity building and coordination services that can used as one
template for Mission 2007 efforts as it develops Knowledge Centres
country-wide.

3.  Always empowering, never controlling

Jhai Foundation has been approached for cooperation by people in 65
countries.  We will offer (1) a GIS/Wiki website for development of
localized data and (2) a peer-to-peer relationship and support website
with near instant translation services for India and then
internationally.  We will quickly share what we learn.  We will be
available to vendors, implementers, governments, and non governmental
organizations everywhere for consultations on means, tools, and critical
paths for rural ICT and economic development. Our focus over the next
two and half years is to work with Mission 2007 to create process and
action templates that work.

4. I brought a Jhai PC v1.6 to the UN World Summit on the Information
Society in Tunis and displayed it at two events sponsored by Mission
2007. I also participated in events sponsored by InfoDev, SIDA, and IDRC
and attended Media Lab's showcase with Jhai's designer, Lee Felsenstein.

yours, in Peace,

Lee Thorn

Chair, Jhai Foundation/JhaiTech
350 Townsend St., Ste. 309, San Francisco, CA 94107 USA.
Voice/Fax: 1 415 344 0360   Mobile: 1 415 420 2870 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<www.jhai.org> in cooperation with <www.datamationfoundation.org>,
<www.mssrf.org>, <www.mission2007.org>, and <www.cdacindia.com>