Dear Augusta and other GKD Members,

I am not at all surprised. I have heard of similar cases in various
parts of Africa, including Congo, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and even
here in SA. I used to coordinate a media training course for journalists
from around the continent, and this very subject came up during a
discussion. It appears that the donors of such "tied" computers and
software feel justified in blocking access to open-source software on
the basis of "ensuring security". which leads one to question: Whose
security? Presumably the financial security of the donor by ensuring the
pre-eminence of their software due to familiarity.

On other issues of tying donations, I have seen irrigation pumps lying
idle because the spare parts must be bought from a specific country and
are too expensive, and fertile soil depleted by GMO maize seeds (which
are donated in the first year, but not reusable, and therefore have to
be purchased at high cost from the supplier in subsequent years.)

Enough said, I guess.....

Ayesha

Ayesha Kajee
Researcher: Democracy and Political Party Systems in Africa
SAIIA - South African Institute of International Affairs
PO Box 31596
Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Tel:      +27 11 339-2021
Fax:     +27 11 339-2154
Mobile: +27 83 500 7486
www.saiia.org.za

"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you
give of yourself that you truly give"  - Khalil Gibran

On December 8, 2005, Augusta Molnar wrote:

> I am writing from Oaxaca, Mexico where I am visiting communities in the
> highlands. They have been beneficiaries of a very cool project financed
> in part by the Gates foundation to install a wireless connection and a
> set of computers for the schools. We are working on a network in the
> Latin America region for communities for which we use by preference
> FireFox as our browser. We suggested they try this browser as Explorer
> was causing problems, and discovered to our surprise that the Gates
> foundation "gift" comes with tags.
>
> The computer network does not allow any of the users of the donated
> computers to install any software not owned by Microsoft, even any open
> source software. The network within which the computers reside will not
> allow any individual computers to download software to install,
> ostensibly to prevent viruses and incompatible software from
> jeopardizing the Microsoft system.

..snip...