The inventors of computers & internet would have hardly imagined one day
it would help some of the most unlikely people get over their sense of
isolation, deprivation and help build self-esteem.

Nor did Ashok Rau--founder of Freedom Foundation
<www.thefreedomfoundation.org>, a Bangalore based voluntary group
offering treatment programs for alcoholic, drug-addict and HIV positive
people--think  how computers would become change agents for his beloved
HIV positive kids. Currently the Foundation supports 141 HIV positive
kids apart from several hundred HIV positive adults; and offers them a
home away from their homes. The Foundation also offers anti-retroviral
medication. Ashok can be reached at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ashok fought against all odds in the wake of a personal tragedy to
establish Freedom Foundation in 1992; as a care center for people
dealing with alcoholism and drug-addiction. However Ashok's work came
into limelight when the first HIV case was isolated in the southern
state of Tamil Nadu in 1986; and UNAIDS/WHO started alerting India and
the world that there are 5-7 million HIV positive people in
India--making it one of the single largest countries in the world having
HIV positive cases.

And what a challenge it has been for him-apart from facing the social
stigma of running a care center for sexually transmitted diseased
people; not getting any form of moral, financial or material support
apart from that of close knit family & friends. However his persistence,
fierce determination and courage; brought hopes to a large number of
deprived people including HIV positive kids Gradually the Center started
gaining reputation as an ideal low-cost community-based home by the
Indian National AIDS Control Organization and the State AIDS Prevention
Society. Ashok Rau has also been nominated by the President of India as
a member of the Technical Resource Group on HIV/AIDS.

The rehabilitation & restoration of HIV positive kids has been a top
priority for Ashok. He has tried to help kids cope with the
psychological social stress resulting from their condition. Freedom
Foundation has maintained complete transparency with the kids about
their being HIV positive and has tried to work towards opening up a
space of acceptability to the reality of AIDS; first amongst the kids
and their families and  at the second stage amongst  the community. The
Foundation tried to persuade several schools to admit their children for
a few years; before they could convince a Missionary Charity School (the
name of the school has been kept confidential in deference to the wishes
of the Freedom Foundation and that of  the School as well )  to admit
their HIV positive kids. He was successful in his endeavors and managed
to get 15 kids admitted in the school. Slowly the kids started learning
English apart from local language Kannada. The school teachers have also
been very helpful in their assimilation process. The teachers counseled
other children to accept the Freedom Foundation kids amongst them;
encouraging them to play in groups. They also took the onerous
responsibility upon themselves of educating the children about the
ultimate fate of the Freedom Foundation's kids. They tried to alert
calmly and carefully that their friends  may not always be with them;
and that every day spent at the school was critical  for the kids. It
has been very tough for the teachers as well as for the school
management-handling objections of parents, dealing with the trauma of
the Freedom Foundation kids and with their insecurities, systematically
working on a process of assimilation for the HIV positive kids.

The Foundation prioritized the assimilation needs of the kids by
allocating their computers used for accounting for their education. The
machines were upgraded and made net enabled, The kids were given basic
training to use computers and the net. They were provided details of
bulletin boards and URLs of other HIV positive organizations; so that
they could chat with their compatriots else-where.

Due to this bold step, communication flood-gates opened at the Freedom
Foundation.  The kids started using the machines for long hours--simply
chatting with other HIV positive kids from other countries. The chats
present a very fascinating perspective into the minds of HIV positive
kids and this may be novel experiment first of its type in India whereby
technology has been deployed for restoring self-esteem and confidence
in a group of kids who had nothing but despair and fear in their hearts
until couple of years.

Ten year old, Mahesh asked his HIV positive friend, a much older & wiser
boy from South Africa "How long are you going to live? I want to meet
you, but may not get the chance at all. I am too weak to travel to South
Africa. No one will take me there. My friends here tell me I may not
live to see this Diwali (India's festival of lights). Can you come down
to Bangalore and meet me and my other friends?". With utmost wisdom and
care for his long-distance friend in his heart; the South-African kid
tried to counsel Mahesh. He said " Don't be afraid.  Even if you are not
there, all of us will meet in the heaven and celebrate Diwali &
Christmas together. Don't despair; you may get well. Our Doctors were
telling us we now have a good chance of recovery" . So it went on and
on-hours & hours of chatting; interaction; exchange of sorrow, fear,
happiness and insecurity. They went to bed happier. After all they were
united in their spirits and in their minds about their state; and about
their lives. The Internet and the Computers were all that were needed to
transform these lives; waiting silently for their deaths.

Twelve year old Ramaiah emailed his Thai friend a colored scanned
picture of his favorite Indian movie-actor Shahrukh Khan.  His friend
sent him a thank you  email from Bangkok and asked him if he needed the
picture of his favorite hero who happens to be a Thai basket ball
player. Ramaiah was thrilled to know and narrated the email to his HIV
positive parents seeped in India's film-culture;  that basket ball
players could be celebrities as well.

Says Ashok Rau emotionally "At least they don't think about death
constantly now, thanks to the computer and to the internet"

Chetan Sharma-Founder & Managing Director, Datamation
361 Patparganj Industrial Area, Delhi-110 092 (India)
www.datamationindia.com
Ph#91-11-2167230/2169162/2167973/2168017
Cellular # 9811039482