Dear Mymoena Ismail and Colleagues:

I do not know the legislation in South Africa, but it would be normal
for the legislation to expect that entities account for every cent paid
out and received.

When there is reference to "cash basis" accounting it refers to how cash
receipts and payments are handled in the accounts, and how invoices and
accruals are handled. Most government systems ignore invoices and
accruals...which is, in my view, a ridiculous situation...but legal for
most government entities and funds, while being illegal since around
1880 for the corporate world. Talk about a double standard!

When you talk about the South African Municipal Financial Management
Act, does it require an entity to maintain "balance sheet accounts" and
do its financial reporting with a full balance sheet as well as an
income and expenditure statement? It might. Some progressive countries,
notably New Zealand, have pushed forward to improve public sector
accounting, but most countries firmly stick to weak and outmoded
accountancy requirements that facilitate poor management of resources
and grand corruption.

Peter Burgess
Peter Burgess
Tr-Ac-Net in New York  212 772 6918 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Transparency and Accountability Network
With Kris Dev in Chennai India
and others in South Asia, Africa and Latin America
http://tr-ac-net.blogspot.com