Dear Colleagues,

I wish I had the time and money to be with you in New Delhi at the end
of the month.

100,000 telecenters is progress, but how much depends on the
architecture of the information and the infrastructure of the
communication component.

How do the content providers know what information is going to be the
most valuable in the community where the kiosks are to be located? In
the main, we choose from afar (I am in New York) and decide what
information a villager needs, and when it comes to local information
what we know is rather a small subset of what the village already knows.
I was in Afghanistan about 12 years ago, and British World Service was
planning an agriculture education services to help tell farmers what
best to do. I was at a meeting where content was being discussed, and I
believe the idea was dropped when local people pointed out that there
were significant differences on farming practices from the north side of
the valley to the south side of the valley. Bluntly put, how the hell
were the experts wherever going to get planting dates right? Local
people know a lot more than we give them credit for.

The Transparency and Accountability Network (Tr-Ac-Net) database has a
different information architecture than the British World Service idea
.. Tr-Ac-Net seeks to help get key information from the community onto
the record so that this information can help the community attract the
resource assistance it needs for socio-economic progress. When there is
"management information" available about community progress, and the
various activities that have gone on to get this progress, then there
can be efficiency improvement in the use of resources.

Will the 100,000 telecenters being planned make it possible for
villagers and community leaders to communicate with a web enabled
database system like the one envisioned by Tr-Ac-Net, or will the
information flow merely be "top-down". I will argue that information
flows in both directions, as well as horizontally between local
communities and local people, is several orders-of-magnitude more
valuable than the simple top-down approach.

I would be very interested to have other people's views on the
OneWorld / Mission 2007 project, and the Tr-Ac-Net vision for a
community database.

Sincerely,

Peter Burgess
____________
Peter Burgess
Tr-Ac-Net in New York  212 772 6918 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Transparency and Accountability Network
With Kris Dev in Chennai India
and others in South Asia, Africa and Latin America
http://tr-ac-net.blogspot.com

On 6/17/2005, Veronica Peris wrote:

> OneWorld South Asia's (OWSA) <http://www.oneworld.net/> under the aegis
> of Mission 2007 <http://www.mission2007.org/> would like to invite you
> to a "Content for Community Needs" Programme meeting (30 June and 1 July
> 2005; India International Centre, New Delhi.)
>
> OneWorld will introduce the concept of 100,000 Telecentres and the
> opportunities that exist for content developers/providers in the
> immediate future.
>
> One of the practical ways of using ICTs, we feel, is to set up
> Telecentres (Rural Advocacy Centres/Information Kiosks) that contain
> information relevant to the needs of the rural/urban communities. Such
> Telecentres would facilitate Communities' access to
> information/facilities/services without their having to waste any time
> in procuring/accessing the same. To the worker at the community level,
> having to procure such information would mean in real terms, having to
> drop out of work for at least a day -- often forgo a days wages -- and
> the resultant food for him/her self and the family. For this purpose
> there is an urgent need to digitise a content repository for community
> needs to reach out to rural/urban India at large, as well as tailor the
> data to the respective needs of the communities.

..snip...