You are right that we promised this a while ago, and have
not delivered.  I'm sorry about that.  I, for one, had not
appreciated how important it was to you.

We are planning to release 4.04 this week, but this thread
stuff just won't make it in.

We'll do it right after the release, modulo holidays.
In practice that means "sometime in August".  Is that
enough for you?

Simon