I just read your proposal for "lightweight extensible records for Haskell" and find it great.
But I just wonder : why not keeping both records systems (Haskell 98 and extensible) with their own syntax, introducing for example [{..}] for extensible records for example. This would resolve performance issues and other drawbacks that you tell about in Section 5. One who want performance will use the old system, and whose who need power will use the new one.

You could give operators of type [{...}] to {...} and {…} to [{…}} to convert between the two worlds.

Best regards,
Nicolas Oury