Yitzchak Gale:
OK for the time
being, but it would be really, really good to be able to compile
ghc without gmp.

Well, just go ahead and write an alternative portable & high- performance implementation of Integer.

This idea of a Mac OS X binary with statically-linked
gmp is nice, it is really convenient. But someone needs
to completely clarify the license issues in that case, and
make it completely clear to all users.

I completely agree that we need to document the situation clearly. Otherwise, I don't really see what the fuss is about. Most GHC users don't care whether GMP is linked into their code (as its either only used internally or has a GPL-compatible license anyway).

If a company wants to distribute GHC compiled binaries of non-GPL compatible code, well, they have to compile their own version of GHC on the Mac that links GMP dynamically, and then, use that version of GHC to link their final product. That is going to be a trivial task compared to developing that product in the first place. So, who cares?

Manuel