On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Jerry Feldman wrote:

=>I think you are correct. Create(2) is a system call. Linkage editors those
=>days were rather primitive. I think the name limit was either 7 or 8, but
=>external names in C were many times autoprefixed with __, such that creat
=>became __creat.
=>The C language had a limit of 8 characters for a variable name (K&R 2.1).
=>(Actually a name could be longer, but only the first 8 were significant).
=>I think the only other programmer on this list who might have been writing
=>C back then is my granduncle, Alex Hewitt ;-)
=>