I have an Epson C40UX.. It's cheap, it's USB, it's supported by linux, and
it works GREAT. I do glossy prints all the time with it for my wife's
scrapbooking and they come out fantastic. It's not the fastest thing in
the world but the quality is unbeatable in it's pricerange (under $100!).
The only thing I don't like about it that I like about the other Epson
printer I had (that broke about a year ago) is that this one all the
colors are in one cartridge. Some printers now have seperate carts for
seperate colors, but you can get them at computer shows and online cheap
enough now adays. But even if you don't get the C40UX I would stick with
Epson, I've never had a problem with them (the one that broke I had for a
long time). Res on the C40UX is 1440dpi and I think they have higher now
in the same pricerange.