On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, at 8:42pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> As of my last bill, my broadband connection now costs almost double what
> it did a year ago ($60.99 vs. $35/mo).  That's absurd.  .... There's no
> incentive to keep them low.  It's that simple.

  If it's so simple, why don't you go start a DSL company and make yourself
rich?

  Prices are going up because the market is correcting itself to represent
the true cost of delivering the services.  Frankly, I think $60/month is
still low.  All those carriers offering DSL at $50/month were pricing
themselves right out of business.  And that's exactly what happened.

  An associate of mine had their electric meter, an old mechanical model,
seize up.  The power company saw their usage as zero for several months,
resulting in some very low power bills.  Of course, the power company
eventually realized what was going on, replaced the meter, and now they have
to pay for their electricity again.  They didn't go to the power company and
say, "Hey, you were giving it away for a couple months, why do I have to pay
for it again?"

  The same principle applies here.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>