> >   Providing two-way packet-switched unicast data services is a
> > *completely
> > different* scenario.
>
> It isn't.  Or, it is... but the same head end does both, over
> the same coax.  So it doesn't matter.

Exactly! They needed to redo the cable plant to offer just one of the
three services they do now (digital cable/telephone/internet) so the
fact that they get to do all of them just by upgrading one thing works
out to be a bonus for them.. Or at least makes it cost effective. Plus,
like I said in an early post, in a lot of the towns they needed to be
redone anyway to fix leakage because of some FCC regs so the plant would
have been rebuilt regardless of the new services. That's why some
smaller towns got rebuilt before larger ones next to it, because they
had a more leaky cable plant put in by some mom and pop cable company
back in the late 70s early 80s.