On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, at 1:37pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Just wondering if any of you have had issues/problems/war stories setting
> up a linux box to work w/ comcast.

  We've done quite a few turnups with Linux and Media One/Road Runner/AT&T
Broadband/Comcast/whatever.

  Their techs generally don't know anything but MS-Windows, which is where
that requirement comes from.  It works just fine with Linux, too.

  The only catch is that they require you to "register" the hardware MAC
address of your network interface before it will allow you to connect to
anything but their authentication systems.  The registration process is
kicked off by a Windows program, but all said program appears to do is fire
up a web browser.

  If possible, I recommend keeping a Windoze system (on another partition,
or another PC, whatever) around for support purposes.  Their techs will
insist on it if you have trouble, even if your cable modem catches on fire.

  As most everyone knows, the whole MAC address thing is bogus, anyway.
Almost anything, including most Windoze NIC drivers, most Linux NIC drivers,
and most SOHO routers, will let you program your own MAC address.  This also
means you don't have to play games with moving NICs between PCs; just note
the original MAC and program it as needed.

> i saw one guy posting that he set all his connection up manually, w/o DHCP
> at all, and that works fine.

  If you have a static IP address, that will work fine.  With DHCP... well,
I suppose it might work for a while, but the first you have an address
collision, somebody is going to be *very* unhappy.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>