> ANSI C allows the implementation to store duplicate strings in the
> same memory location at runtime.

I stand corrected.  My claim came from a very old document.  The only
(draft) version of the ISO standard I have at my finger tips says it is
now "unspecified".  I think my argument still stands though since it is
likely some compilers will not do this optimization (assuming it is
still unspecified), and probably none will do it across compilation
units.

One more case where the allocation of a const variable is useful though
is when you want to set the values at link time.  You can put all these
*constants* in one C file and link with the version of your choice.
Especially handy for binary-only distributions.

-dl
--
David A. Long
JumpShift, LLC