On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:10, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:58:45 -0400
> Dan Coutu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > First of all, I know this isn't a great idea, but it is required
> > by a specific scenario. Here's the situation:
> >
> > Got a RedHat 9 system that I need to allow remote telnet logins
> > to root from the LAN. I had thought that an entry in
> > /etc/security/access.conf would do the trick but it didn't. I also
> > went to /etc/xinetd.d and edited the telnet file to enable telnet.
> > Still no joy.
> >
> > I must be missing something else but don't know what. A search of
> > the mail archives turned up nothing. Ideas?
> Dan,
> WRT: The other posts, have you been able to allow for non-root logins
> over telnet. Then, once logged in, then use su, sudo or sux to become
> root.
>
> You may need to add /dev/pts to /etc/securetty.
> But, I think you are opening up a can of worms.

Yes, I know it is a can of worms. Unfortunately I need to first
solve this and then work on finding a way to solve it better.
The problem is that the client has an application which allows
administrative actions only when logged in as root. It uses
an ancient curses based interface that uses strange terminal
mapping that simple doesn't work correctly with any of the
conventional termcap entries that I've tried. Either the
keyboard mapping is wrong or the display gets unreadable.

Everything works correctly though when connecting with a
terminal emulator that only supports telnet connections.

Sigh.

Thanks for the help folks, sorry for the impatient reply
to Jared earlier.
--
Dan Coutu
Managing Director