On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:26:35PM -0800, Michael Costolo wrote:

> I understand resistance to change.  I don't understand the mentality that someone
> will only operate within artificially narrow conditions.  It is as if someone would
> refuse to drive if they couldn't drive a particular brand of car.  That I don't
> understand.

Again - I think you do understand.  You just don't agree with them.

Real world examples of this type of thinking?

Lets see -

People who won't buy Japanese cars, Others who won't buy American cars.

Programmers who won't use vi, Programmers who won't use emacs

I understand all these sets of people.

> I rather thought we were presenting the concept of options.  The reality that you
> *can* use a computer to do real work (and play) on a computer that isn't running
> Windows.  And do it well, no less.  I'm not interested in convincing people that
> they want to change.

The original discussion was about what Linux needs to succeed on the
desktop.  Part of that success, will have to include people wanting to
change.  Otherwise they won't change.  QED.

> > Most of them thought they were using Microsoft Word!  (It was
> > OpenOffice).
>
> That only reinforces my point.  That they were *not* using Word did not prevent them
> from doing the work they intended to do.  That they were fooled is largely
> irrelevant.

And yet the person in charge of this site claims that the fact the
users perceived no difference was and is critical to the success they
are having.   Can you imagine a public library having to give their
user's "UNIX training" classes ?

> > > Well, I'm assuming the user *wants* to run Linux and *wants* to be able to do
> > the
> > > same work, not necessarily just run the same programs.
> >
> > Wow.  I almost never run into people (Excepting technophiles) who want
> > to run Linux.  Are you sure you don't need to check your assumptions?
>
> Perhaps.  But like I said before, I'm not trying to convince people they need
> change.  That sounds too much like work.

It certainly is.  And its not made any easier when the technical Linux
community ignores the realities of the human psychology involved.
Fortunately most don't.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is copyright 2003.