On Jan 11, 2006, at 08:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This poses an interesting problem. The "," is being used for two purposes: a delimiter *AND* as a place holder.

I tried to prove to myself last night that this method would produce unresolvable ambiguities, but if you think like a state machine, character-by-character, it seems to work.

Now, for the Lazy, Perl regular expressions are a state machine of sorts. I suspect you might be able to do the right thing with greedy/non-greedy matches. Someone who lives and breathes regex might have a better handle on this. It would take me two hours to get this one figured out.

This format sure makes the parser harder though, so if there's another way to get the data that's going to be desirable. You can't use Text::CSV::Simple anymore, for instance, which gives you a 15-minute explicit reusable solution.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/