On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:52:19AM -0500, Dan Coutu wrote:
> On a new installation of Centos 4.2 (a RHEL clone from source) I'm
> seeing the following error in the messages file:
>
> Mar  3 15:55:06 hanka dbus: Can't send to audit system: USER_AVC
> pid=2521 uid=81 loginuid=-1 message=avc:  denied  { send_msg } for
> scontext=root:system_r:unconfined_t tcontext=user_u:system_r:initrc_t
> tclass=dbus
>

> I've never heard of a dbus. So first of all, what's a dbus, and
> secondly, what does this error mean?

dbus is a messaging bus that allows processes on the desktop communicate
between each other. It is used in a lot of the new GNOME programs for
interprocess communication: for a while, Beagle (the desktop search
engine) used DBUS to pass messages between various parts of the program.

As a server-only Linux user, I unfortunately can't help you with why its
happening. Sorry 'bout that.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer